Wednesday 19 June 2013

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost - Morocco

Morocco, in North Africa, is somewhere I've wanted to travel to for a long time. It seems like such a mysterious and beautiful country. Morocco spans from the Atlantic ocean, across mountainous terrain to the Sahara desert so it has a wide range of landscapes to explore.
Source
One of the main attractions for me personally are the souks. I love the Moroccan style and the colourful, sparkly, unusual trinkets available. If I ever see a Middle Eastern style shop in this country I am always drawn to it and I have bought some gorgeous items but I always feel guilty, like I am personally funding a sweat shop. In the souks I hope that the items are more ethical and produced by the seller.


Moroccan Tea Glasses Source
Berber Tea Source
Moroccan Lights Source
Source
Tiles Source
Marketplace Source
Books Source
Source
Source
Source
The food also looks delicious. Morocco uses a wide variety of fruits, vegetables and meats in their recipes, some of the most unusual is goat and camel! Flavourings often used are lemon, pickle and dried fruits giving savoury dishes bursts of sweet and sour. Moroccan cuisine is also known to be heavily spiced and the most common spices used are cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, ginger, paprika, coriander and saffron, fragrant and spicy. Couscous and tagines are a very common main meal and green tea with mint is the main drink, making it properly is considered and art form.

Source
Source
Spices Source
Moroccan Tea Set Source
Moroccan Yoghurt Ice-Cream with Pomegranate Source
There's a cafe there where you can have a relaxing cup of mint green tea and have some beautiful henna done at the same time! Check it out here.

Source


There are some really intricate mosaic murals.

Rabat Mausoleum Source

And there are loads of beautiful doors. I don't think I've ever seen such attention to detail on a door here in the U.K.

Source
Source
Source
Source
Okay, so the last one isn't a door, but it IS pretty, so there!! I wish I hadn't done this now, its made me want to go there even more. Where in the world is your ultimate destination?




                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment